A sweeter chili with a few surprise ingredients!
Serves: 10 (Serving= 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 pound 93% lean ground beef or ground turkey breast
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 – 15 ounce can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 14.5 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 – 15 ounce can 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 – 12 ounce bottle light beer (choose gluten free beer for GF version)
- 2 cups low sodium tomato juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook meat in canola oil, adding green pepper, onion and garlic about halfway through cooking. Cook until onions become translucent and are softened. Pour into slow cooker.
- Add rest of ingredients to slow cooker and stir well. Cook on low overnight or for 6-8 hours.
To make bariatric diet friendly:
Suggest draining out broth and reduce serving size to ½ cup. Substitute light beer for beef broth. This recipe may not be tolerated during the first 4 weeks after surgery due to the acidity.
Updated bariatric nutrition information: Calories 76, Total Fat 1g, 0g Sat Fat, Sodium 169mg, Total Carbohydrate 9g, Fiber 2.5g, Protein 7g