Vegetarian Lentil and Barley Soup
Something healthy and warm to start off National Nutrition Month!
Serves: 8 (Serving= 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup lentils, uncooked
- 1/3 cup pearled barley, uncooked
- 2 cans (10.75 ounces or 2.5 cups) cream of mushroom soup (choose gluten free for GF version)
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable stock (choose gluten free for GF version)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- In a large crockpot, combine all ingredients and cook on low for 9 hours.
To make bariatric diet friendly:
If a lot of liquid is left after cooking, drain soup. You can also puree this soup after cooking to eat during the puree diet stage. You can freeze 1 ounce portions in an ice cube tray for up to 2 months. May add cooked lean ground turkey for additional protein. You can make this ahead of time and freeze for later.
Bariatric nutrition information remains about the same for drained 1 cup portion