Chinese 5 Spice Fried Rice
A bounty of spring vegetables married with an interesting twist on the Oriental classic.
Serves: 4 (Serving = 1 cup)
Rice and Veggies
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- ½ cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 packed cup chopped Swiss chard
- ½ cup halved and sliced red radishes
- ½ cup trimmed and diced sugar snap peas
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 1 Tablespoon lite soy sauce (use gluten free for GF version)
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese 5 spice powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Heat sesame oil in large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add carrots, onions, and fennel and sauté for 5-10 minutes.
- Move vegetables to the edges of the skillet, leaving an open well in the middle. Pour beaten egg in center and stir to scramble. Once the egg is cooked, stir in the rice and remaining vegetables.
- In a small bowl, whisk sauce ingredients. Pour over skillet ingredients and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, until chard is wilted and veggies are tender.