White Bean and Quinoa Burgers with Avocado
Looking for a good Meatless Monday option? These burgers get a hefty dose of protein from quinoa and beans to give you a filling, flavorful dinner without the meat.
1 can no-salt added cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
1 large egg
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp pepper
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1.5 tsp sriracha sauce or other hot chile sauce
5 whole-wheat hamburger buns
2 medium tomatoes
10 lettuce leaves
10 slices red onion
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray wth cooking spray.
2. Put beansin a medium bowl. Using a potato masher, mash them well. Add half of an avocado and mash well. Then add the egg, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, cumin and pepper, stirring well to combine.
3. Dice the remaining half of the whole avocado. Gently fold it and the quinoa into the bean mixture.
4. Using your hands, form the bean mixture into 5 patties. Place the patties on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, or until browned.
5. In a small bown, whisk together the mayonnaise and sriracha sauce.
6. Toast the buns.
7. Place the burger patties on the bottom buns. Spread the patties with the sriracha mayo and top with tomato slices, lettuce, onion slices and the remainig avocado slices. Put the top bun on the burgers.