Summer Squash Au Gratin
This gratin is the perfect way to use an abundance of summer squash. It is easy to prepare and takes just 10 minutes in the oven.
Serves: 1 cup
2 Tbsp butter
2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch round slices
2 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/4 inch roun slices
2 shallots, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp coarsely ground pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup panko bread crumbs, divided
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add zucchini and yellow squash and shallots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until squash are crisp-tender, about 4-6 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
2. Add cream; cook until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs and 1/4 cup cheese.
4. Spoon mixture into a greased 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle remaining bread crumbs and cheese on top.
5. Bake until topping is golden brown and the casserole is bubbly at the edges, about 8-10 minutes.