Green Bean Casserole Makeover
With this recipe, you’ll trim the fat, and sodium from your traditional green bean casserole by using fresh green beans, and making your own sauce (rather than using canned). Your holiday guests will be impressed that you made it “from scratch”!
Serves: 3/4 cup
Time: 25-35 minutes
6 tsp olive oil, divided
4 cups sliced onion (2 large)
1/8 tsp salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 ¼ lb. fresh green beans, stems trimmed, cut into 1 ½-inch lengths or one 16-oz. pkg frozen green beans, preferably Frenched green beans
3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (one 8- or 10-oz pkg)
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 Tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
1 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
¼ cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and salt; cook, stirring often, until tender and light golden, 20-25 minutes. (Adjust heat as necessary and add a little water if onions brown too quickly.) Transfer to a medium bowl and season with pepper. (Rinse and dry skillet if necessary).
- Meanwhile, if using fresh green beans, steam or boil until crisp-tender, 5-7 minutes. If using frozen, cook according to package directions. Drain beans and refresh under cold running water.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring or shaking pan from time to time, until browned and tender, 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and stir for a few seconds. Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream, soy sauce and pepper. Stir in green beans.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat an 8-by-11 ½ inch (or similar 2-qt) baking dish with cooking spray. Spread green bean-mushroom mixture in prepared baking dish. Top with caramelized onions. Mix breadcrumbs and remaining 2 tsp oil in a small bowl; sprinkle over onions. (Casserole can be prepared ahead. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.)
- Bake casserole, uncovered, until heated through and topping is golden and crisp, 25-35 minutes.