Slow-Cooker Fiesta Rice
This flavorful recipe is a great side dish for your family “taco night”. You might not have time to prepare brown rice before your meal, but with a little planning, your slow cooker will have it ready for you when you get home. The pre-flavored instant rice (labeled as “Mexican Rice”) will pack in about 4-5 times as much sodium, compared to this homemade version.
Serves: 1/2 cup
Time: 6-7 hours
1 Tbsp. canola oil
7 strips turkey bacon
1 small onion, diced
1 medium green pepper, diced
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 ½ brown rice, uncooked
2 ½ cups water
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Cook turkey bacon in the microwave according to package directions. Chop, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in medium skillet. Add onion, peppers, and beans to pan. Sautee until onions are tender-crisp, add to slow cooker.
- Add rice, water, tomatoes, turkey bacon, and black pepper to slow cooker. Stir.
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 6-7 hours. Lightly stir before serving.
- Tip...to prepare on the stovetop instead of a slow cooker, prepare rice according to package directions, and then add to skillet with vegetable mixture.