Winter Warm Kale Salad
Pair kale with beta carotene-rich butternut squash for a hearty healthy main or side dish perfect for fall or winter.
Serves: 1/8 of recipe
4 strips bacon, coarsely chopped
4 carrots, sliced
2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 cups kale, chopped
1. In large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove from skillet and set aside on paper towels.
2. Add carrots and squash to skillet. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes over medium heat.
3. Add poblano pepper and onion. Cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until vegetables are tender.
4. Stir in salt, pepper, paprika. Add tomato and kale. Cook, covered, until kale is wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Top with bacon and serve warm.