Chocolate Cherry Bread Pudding
You won’t believe that this decadent dessert is low in calories and packed with whole grains and fruit!
Serves: 9 (Serving = 1 piece)
- ¾ cup fat-free milk
- ¾ cup fat-free half-and-half
- ¼ cup baking cocoa
- ½ cup egg substitute
- ¼ cup Splenda® brown sugar blend
- ¼ cup sugar-free maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 cups cubed day-old (or toasted) 100% whole wheat bread
- 1-12 ounce bag frozen dark sweet cherries, chopped
- Cooking spray
- ¼ cup chopped dark chocolate (70% cacao or more)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, half-and-half, cocoa, egg substitute, Splenda®, syrup, and vanilla. Add the bread cubes and stir to coat.
- Let mixture sit for 10 minutes to allow the bread to soak. Fold in the cherries gently, then spread into an 8 x 8” pan that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with chopped chocolate. Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Let cool at least 30 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or cold.