Asian Quinoa Salad
A quinoa based Asian inspired salad. Quinoa is the only grain that is a whole grain and a quality protein.
Serves: 7 (Serving= 1 cup)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1 cup shelled and cooked edamame
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 3 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (choose gluten free for GF version)
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons chopped green onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon black sesame seeds
- Add quinoa and water to a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. This will make about 2 cups of cooked quinoa.
- Place the quinoa in a large bowl and add the rest of the salad ingredients. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa salad and stir to combine. Garnish with black sesame seeds. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
To make bariatric diet friendly:
Decrease serving size to ½ cup
Updated bariatric nutrition information: Calories 68, Total Fat 2.5g, Sat Fat 0.5g, Sodium 118mg, Total Carbohydrate 9g, Fiber 2g, Sugar 1.5g, Protein 3g