Crockpot Stuffed Pepper Soup
This simple soup is great for a cold and busy night. Tip: Keep the rice separate until eating. This will prevent the rice from becoming too soft.
Serves: 8 (Serving = 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 pound 90/10 ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 – 14.5 ounce cans no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 – 15 ounce can no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 – 14.5 ounce can low-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- In a medium sized skillet, cook ground beef until no longer pink. Place in a 6-quart crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients to crockpot except for rice.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Add cooked rice to soup. Stir to combine.
*Optional: Garnish with low-fat shredded cheese of choice.
To make bariatric diet friendly:
Suggest draining out broth and reduce serving size to ½ cup
Updated bariatric nutrition information: Calories 116, Total Fat 1g, Sat Fat 0.5g, Sodium 63mg, Total Carbohydrates 14g, Fiber 1.5g, Sugar 3g, Protein 7.8g