Quinoa and Summer Vegetables
Grain salads are great warm or at room temperature. Get ahead by cooking the quinoa earlier in the week. You could also save time by using quinoa in a microwaveable pouch.
Serves: 4 servings, 1 3/4 cup each
1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and cooked according to package directions
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 medium zucchini, chopped or sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
1 sweet bell pepper (red, yellow or orange), chopped
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
6 green onions, biased sliced
1/3 cup almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
2 cups loosely packed cilantro leaves
lemon wedges (optional)
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions. This can be done ahead and quinoa refrigerated until ready to prepare.
2. Place cooked quinoa in large bowl.
3. Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add zucchini in a single layer. Cook, without stirring, 2-3 minutes or until browned on one side. Add a pinch of salt if desired. Stir. Reduce heat to medium. Add peppers. Cook 2 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until pepper is crisp-tender. Add paprika and stir to mix.
4. Add vegetable mixture from skillet to quinoa in bowl.
5. Stir in green onions and almonds. Stir in cilantro just before serving. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.