Very Veggie Cauliflower Fried Rice
Lower carb and loaded with nutritious vegetables, this "fried rice" is a main dish that you can feel good about serving to friends and family. This recipe comes together quickly fo make sure all of your ingredients are prepared and easily accessible before starting! This can be made using fresh cauliflower or frozen riced cauliflower. Fresh takes longer to cook but is more economical and provides more vibrant color and texture. The nutrition information was calculated using spinach, baby bella mushrooms with peas and carrots.
Serves: 6. 1/6 of recipe per serving
1 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil (divided)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
2 cups additional vegetables, chopped (spinach, broccoli, kale, mushrooms, cabbage, snow peas, bell pepper, asparagus)
2 lbs riced cauliflower (one head, grated using food processor blade or hand grater OR use frozen riced cauliflower)
3 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 ½ to 2 tsp roasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp ginger root, grated or minced (You may substitute 1.4 tsp ground ginger for ginger root)
¼ to ½ tsp red pepper flakes, optional
1. Heat 1 1/2 tsp oil in skillet or wok on medium high heat. Whisk 2 eggs and scramble in oil. Remove to dish and wipe out skillet or wok.
2. Add 2 tsp oil to skillet or wok. Add onion, garlic and vegetables. Stir occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender. You may need to turn heat down to medium if vegetables are cooking too quickly. While cooking the vegetables, break up scrambled eggs with spatula.
3. Remove vegetables to dish with scrambled eggs.
4. You may need to add 1-2 tsp additional oil to skillet or wok. Add cauliflower to skillet or wok. Add ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir until cauliflower is crisp-tender.
5. Return vegetables and scrambled eggs to work or skillet and stir together. Serve.