Angel Hair with Asparagus, Tomatoes, & Fresh Basil
It’s time to start taking advantage of seasonal produce, so head to your farmer’s market to use the freshest ingredients in this recipe. You will always get the best flavor by using fresh herbs, such as basil. Once you start cooking with fresh herbs, you may never go back to your dried spice rack again!
Serves: 1/3 of recipe
16 thin stalks fresh asparagus
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or minced
¼ tsp pepper
6 medium plum (Roma) tomatoes, chopped (2 ¼ cups)
¼ cup dry white wine
¼ tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter*
1 (9 ounce) pkg. refrigerated angel hair pasta
¼ cup fresh basil, shredded
* Note: The butter is used to bind the sauce. Margarine might not be an effective substitute in making this pasta dish.
- Trim asparagus and rinse in cold water. Remove the tips; set aside. Bias-slice remaining asparagus stalks into 1- to 1 ½-inch pieces and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes and cook about 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add asparagus stalks, wine, and salt to mixture. Cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- Add asparagus tips; cook, uncovered, for 1 minute more.
- Add butter; stir until melted.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta. Return to pan and toss with asparagus mixture and basil.