Herbed Quinoa Patties
These patties are versatile in that you can have them as an entrée, make them into a tasty appetizer, or serve cold on top of a salad.
Serves: 12 (Serving= 1 patty plus 2 Tablespoons sauce)
- 2 ½ cups cooked quinoa, room temperature (about 1 ¼ cups uncooked)
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup whole-grain bread crumbs (use gluten free bread crumbs for GF version)
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Chobani® plain light or nonfat yogurt
- ½ cup tomato, chopped
- ½ cup cucumber, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- In a medium bowl, combine quinoa, egg substitute, and salt. Stir in chives, cumin, onion, parmesan, and garlic. Add in bread crumbs, stir, and let stand for a few minutes. Form mixture into twelve 1-inch thick patties. Mixture can be kept covered in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add patties and cover, working in batches. Cook each side for about 7 minutes until deeply browned.
- In a small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients. If desired, serve 1-2 Tablespoons sauce per patty.
To make bariatric diet friendly:
Follow recipe as directed. When mixed, form into 24 “meatballs”.
*note: this recipe is a side dish, pair with a protein to meet your protein goal
Bariatric nutrition information (serving size 1 each, makes 24): Calories 63, Total Fat 1.5g, Sat Fat 0.5g, Sodium 128mg, Total Carbohydrate 8g, Fiber 1g, Protein 3.5g