Diabetes Prevention Program
Reduce your risk of diabetes.
One in three adult Americans – that’s 86 million people – have prediabetes and most of them don’t know it!
If you have prediabetes or other risk factors for type 2 diabetes, now is the time to take charge of your health and make a change. The FREE Diabetes Prevention Program at OSF HealthCare Saint James – John W. Albrecht Medical Center can help.
As a group, participants in the year-long program learn to eat healthy, add physical activity to their lives, stay motivated, and solve problems that may get in their way of healthy changes. The program runs weekly for 16 weeks, then monthly for the rest of the year. Participants commit to lose weight (just 5 percent to 7 percent of their body weight).
You may have prediabetes and be at risk for type 2 diabetes if you:
- Are 45 years of age or older
- Are overweight
- Have a family history of type 2 diabetes
- Are physically active fewer than three times per week
- Ever had diabetes while pregnant (gestational diabetes) or gave birth to a baby that weighed more than 9 pounds
- Sherri Schlatter, RN, CDE
- Carly Francis, MS, RD, LDN
- Matt Janus, BS, BA, CEP
- Evan Duprey, MS, CEP
To learn more about the Diabetes Prevention Program and your eligibility, call (815) 842-4970. No physician referral is required.