Our legacy started back in 1899, when a committee of the Women's Federated Clubs went before the city council with the proposal to build a hospital to meet the emergency accident needs of the city’s 5,000 working men. On November 13, 1902 a charter was issued to the Kewanee Public Hospital Association. Over the next 15 years dedicated men and women worked and earned money for the project. No real progress was made until June 1917 when Miss Anna B. Coushain of Buffalo, NY conducted the financial capital campaign with the help of P.A. Waller, campaign chairman. The committee raised $64,000, well over their goal of $60,000.
The Kewanee Public Hospital building was opened on April 16, 1919 for inspection. The first patient was admitted on April 17, 1919. Records indicated that the cost of the building was $66,795 and the cost of equipment and furnishings was $25,000, for a project total of $91,795.
Technological, facility and medical service expansions adapted to the ever-changing health care environment. In 2006, the decision was made to build a full replacement hospital for the citizens of Kewanee and the surrounding communities. On April 1, 2014, Kewanee Hospital affiliated with OSF HealthCare and became OSF Saint Luke Medical Center. While health care will continue to change, the goal will remain the same, local access to excellent health care services.
- 1917 Whirlwind campaign raises $60,000 for original hospital building.
- 1919 Completed construction of 50 bed hospital. First patient admitted on April 17.
- 1989 Kewanee “Public Hospital” becomes Kewanee Hospital
- 2003 Designated Critical Access Hospital
- 2006 Groundbreaking for full replacement hospital
- 2008 Grand opening of full replacement hospital
- 2014 Affiliated with OSF HealthCare
We welcome visitors to view our beautiful new facility! Tours can be arranged by calling the OSF Saint Luke Medical Center Marketing Department at (309) 852-7820.