Child Life Internship
(Spring Internship Only)
OSF Children’s Hospital offers an internship program for college seniors, master’s degree students or college graduates with backgrounds and experience in child development, psychology, education, or related fields. Interns are trained and supervised on individual rotations by experienced and certified child life specialists. This fielded experience paired with related curriculum provides interns with deep insight and gained understanding into the needs of families coping with chronic illness and the valuable role of child life in their healthcare team.
After the application is reviewed, you may be contacted for an interview. Selection of interns is based on academic preparation, professional experience with children, knowledge of child development, support from letters of recommendation, child life experience and interview.
Internship Prerequisites Requirements
1. Applicants must have successfully completed a bachelor’s degree.
2. Effective January 1, 2013: Evidence of having completed at least 1 three hour course taught by Certified Child Life Specialist (CCLS).
3. Documentation of liability insurance coverage (to be obtained only after one is accepted into our program). If you need to purchase an individual policy for student liability insurance during your internship, please contact:
Healthcare Providers Service Organization (HPSO)
159 E. County Link Road
Hatboro, PA 19040-1218
Online Website www.HPSO.com
Tell them you are a student in Child Life and need student liability coverage for Allied Health Internship. The cost should be less than $$100 and will be valid for one year.
4. Documentation of current health insurance. In addition, students will be in good health before beginning an internship at Children’s Hospital of IL.
5. Documentation of valid infant/child/adult CPR certification by American Red Cross
Internship Offer & Acceptance Rates Internship Session Winter/Spring Application Deadlines September 5 Initial Offer Dates 2nd Tuesday of October Acceptance Dates Following Wednesday
Candidates for the internship need to submit the following:
- Child Life Internship Application
- Cover or introductory letter
- 3 Letters of recommendation: at least one from an academic source and one from a professional source
- Transcripts (copies are acceptable)
- Course review from Child Life Council- Applicants must meet the educational requirements of the CLC
- Child life practicum experience is highly preferred
You may submit your application and materials online, or mail them to:
Deborah Eads M.S. CCLS
Certified Child Life Specialist-PCCU
Children's Hospital of Illinois
530 NE Glen Oak Avenue | Peoria, IL | 61637