We have more than 350 active volunteers, ranging in age from 14 to 94!
Where do you want to work?
We have a variety of settings:
- Weekdays: 8 a.m. to 11 a.m., 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., & 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Care-A-Van is a free, wheelchair accessible transport service, for patients within an 8 mile radius of the hospital. We transport to the hospital and OSF Medical Group locations. These volunteers work in pairs, one drives and one maintains the schedule.
- Clerical Service
- Works in various departments as needed to fill department requests for clerical tasks such as packet assembly, alphabetizing patient charts, computer data entry, mailing and collating.
- Emergency Department
- Flexible hours, 2 to 4-hour shifts, daily
- Serves as a liaison between the ED staff and the patient’s family, transports patients and specimens, changes linens, stocks cabinets, sits with patients and other duties as needed.
- Weekdays: 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. & 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Phone dispatchers receive and document calls requesting transports ,and route couriers to various departments throughout the hospital.
- Couriers transport patients, lab specimens, medical records, nourishments and medications throughout the hospital.
- Flexible hours, daily
- Volunteers visit with hospice patients in their home to help family members during a difficult time. These volunteers are trained through Home Care.
- The Family Room
- Monday: 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., Wednesday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., & Friday: 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- This program is for parents of children from birth to age 3. Parents exchange points earned from healthy parenting behavior, for baby and household products from the Family Room Store. Volunteers check out purchases, stock shelves, log point card information, assist young parents with requests, and help with special events.
- Weekdays: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. & 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Morning volunteers assist patients with menu selections, deliver mail, flowers, and parenting videos to new mothers and sell newspapers.
- Afternoon volunteers deliver flowers and nourishments, provide fresh water for patients as well as provide assistance to the information desk volunteer.
- Information Desk - Lobby & Family Birth Center
- Volunteers provide information to the public, assist visitors, take blood pressure readings, help patients who require wheelchairs and greet everyone with a positive attitude and a smile!
- Assist staff with non-clinical duties; such as, filling snack trays, getting warm blankets, discharging patients and delivering specimens to the lab.
- Surgery Waiting Room
- Weekdays: 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. &11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Volunteers keep family members of surgical patients informed about the patient’s progress, assist pre-op patients and assemble surgery folders.
- Gift Shoppe
- Weekdays: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.,1 p.m. to 4 p.m.,& 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.,1 p.m.- to 3 p.m.
- Sunday: 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Assist customers with purchases. Learn to operate a cash register, enter payroll deductions and credit card purchases, gift wrap and help with special promotions.
- Weekdays: 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. & 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturdays: 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. & 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- ReRuns resale store is located in downtown Ottawa. Volunteers mark, sort, hang merchandise, assist donors and consignors, set up displays, and assist customers with purchases.
- Red Cross Blood Drive
- Volunteers call, register, provide nourishments, and assist donors at blood drives four times a year.
For more information concerning volunteer opportunities, contact the Volunteer Service Department at (815) 431-5432 or (815) 431-5499.
Teens currently in eighth grade through senior year in high school who are interested in volunteering in a hospital setting are invited to participate in our TAGS program. Volunteers will be required to complete an application and attend an orientation session. TAGS serve in a variety of settings, including working on patient floors delivering water, food, flowers and teddy bears to patients.
Volunteers must commit to at least 30 hours a year. Hours for volunteering are between 6:30 and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 2:30 to 4 p.m. Saturdays. The hospital is very flexible and good at working around students’ busy schedules.