The Patient Experience
Being away from your home and dealing with illness or injury is never really a pleasant experience. We understand. When you are admitted to OSF Saint Paul Medical Center, we make you our number one priority. Our staff members encourage each other to go above and beyond, to make your stay with us as comfortable as possible. Our medical units at OSF Saint Paul are designed to enhance privacy and support the healing process. We are here to meet your needs, so don't be shy! Speak up and let our nursing or support staff know what we can do to help.
- All private rooms
- Fully handicapped accessible
- Family space with sofa-bed for overnight stays
- Four-bed Intensive Care Unit
About Swing Bed
Today’s reduced hospital stay often means that further recovery and rehabilitation must continue after an individual is discharged from the acute hospital environment. Often, that post-acute phase needs to take place in an environment where skilled care is available on a daily basis. OSF Saint Paul provides post acute “skilled care” in its Swing Bed program.
This program offers:
- 24 hour Skilled Nursing Care
- Immediate access to emergency services
- Individual physical, occupational speech and respiratory rehabilitation therapies
- Diet counseling
- Discharge planning assistance
Our Swing Bed program helps individuals make the transition from the hospital to their home easier and safer but must be ordered by a physician. Patients in our acute hospital setting are easily transferred to the program, but patients can also be admitted from other health care facilities to the program.
The Swing Bed program’s length of stay is dependent on the condition of each patient and their individualized program. No matter how long the length of stay, each patient should be prepared to actively participate in the activities of the program. Patients will also be involved in their own care and will be expected to dress daily, in street clothes, if their condition allows.
Who Needs Skilled Care
- Post-surgical or medical patients requiring special dressing changes, instruction on new treatment(s), or physical, occupational, respiratory or speech therapies.
- Patients who need nutritional services, intravenous medication, tracheotomy care, and pain management.
- There are many things that may qualify a patient for care in the Swing Bed program. Ask your physician or direct questions to OSF Saint Paul’s Case Management Department.
Admission to the Swing Bed Program
- A physician will direct your care in the program. However, it is not necessary for the physician to make daily rounds to each resident, since it has been determined that the patient no longer needs “acute” monitoring. The intensity and frequency of patient monitoring will be dependent on the patient’s condition. Most physicians see patients once weekly unless their medical condition warrants more attention.
- Basic room rates include a private room, television, telephone, dietary needs and nursing care.
- Ancillary services such as lab work, x-rays, medications, rehabilitation services, and medical supplies are covered by insurance and Medicare, but are not included in the room rate.
For more information contact Case Management (815) 539-1628.