Family Access

You can use your OSF MyChart account to request access to medical records of family members – or invite them to access yours. This is called proxy access, and some restrictions may apply. 

How to Set Up

To learn more or get started, scroll the Menu on your home page to the Communication section, and click on Request Family Access. Only legal parents and legal guardians can request access to a child’s record.


Father and daughter use a computer together a table Ages 0-11

You will need to submit a form to request access for children age 0-11. The form is available in your OSF MyChart account:

Scroll the Menu to the Communication section and click on Request Family Access. Click on the link “Submit request to access a minor’s record.

Ages 12 - 17

Access for a child age 12-17 must be requested directly through your OSF HealthCare office. A form can be completed in person or by phone with the patient and parent/legal guardian. 

The following limitations apply for OSF MyChart access: 

  • If your child is age 0-11: You will be granted full access to your child’s OSF MyChart account. 
  • If your child is age 12-17: Due to federal and state laws, when a child reaches the age of 12, access to their OSF MyChart account will become limited to parents/legal guardians. An OSF MyChart Child 12-17 Authorization form must be requested directly through your OSF HealthCare office.  Limited access will only include access to allergies and immunizations on file.
  • If legal decisions, rulings, or judgements related to parental rights have been made that may impact OSF MyChart access, additional information may be required.
  • If we are unable to validate your relationship to the child (within either age range), you may be asked to provide a copy of their birth certificate.
  • Once your child turns 18: Proxy access is discontinued. Review the information below for help accessing an adult account through OSF MyChart. 

Note: these age range limitations do not affect any legal right you have to access your child’s record by other means. To request a paper copy of your child’s record, please contact the OSF facility where care was provided to obtain record copies.

Adult Family Members

You can also receive permission to access the OSF MyChart accounts of adult family members, or invite them to access your account.

From your home page, scroll the Menu to the Communication section and click on Request Family Access. Then click the “Friends and Family Access” link. From there, you can grant or revoke access.

If an adult family member is incapacitated or unable to communicate, you may request access to their account by submitting a form and relevant legal documents (such as power of attorney) to your loved one’s provider or the hospital.

A printable copy of the form for adult family members can be downloaded from a link on the Request Family Access page.

Note: the paperwork will need to be completed with the patient's primary care provider to properly document that the patient is incapacitated or unable to communicate.