OSF Cancer Support Services
Life takes on a whole new meaning when someone we know and love is diagnosed with cancer. In addition to the physical effects of the disease, cancer creates countless social and emotional effects that resonate throughout various aspects of life — and the lives of families, friends, co-workers and acquaintances.
At OSF Cancer Support Services, our purpose is to provide services for our cancer patients and their families that effectively helps them manage the physical and emotional side effects of cancer treatment and recovery. We provide the comfort and support needed for a healthier survival.
Creating a Cancer Survival Game Plan
Our approach helps you and your family navigate through the cancer diagnosis, treatment and recovery process. The more you understand and participate in your care, the more you become part of your own health care team. Our dedicated APN will provide you with a personal care plan tailored specifically to you. It will include:
- A summary of your cancer history and treatment
- A personalized risk assessment with medical surveillance
- Preventive practice recommendations, such as lifestyle modifications, diet, physical activity and smoking cessation
- Resources to help you navigate to the appropriate health care providers and services
At OSF Cancer Support Services, we understand a cancer diagnosis is very difficult, and that’s why we are here with a variety of supportive services and expert care tailored just for you. Our program offers support, wellness, education, social connectedness and information, assistance and referral services.
- Oncology psychosocial care. Our counselors are here to support patients, family members, friends and caregivers. They will also provide a variety of treatment options in individual counseling to assist patients both verbally and nonverbally.
- Information on living with cancer. Whether you are a newly diagnosed patient, a survivor, or a family member or friend of someone who is living with cancer, we can help you feel informed and educated.
- Support. We can help improve your ability to cope, and your ability to feel more in control over your situation. We can give you a sense of hope. We want to ensure that people touched by cancer have access to care that includes social and emotional support.
- Social connectedness. Having someone who truly understands the fear and challenges of a cancer diagnosis is vital to strengthening and sustaining cancer patients on their cancer journey. As such, we provide opportunities for cancer patients and their caregivers to interact socially though book clubs, movie night, trivia night and other activities. This ensures that no one faces cancer alone.
- Education. Renowned oncologists and experts from across the country present relevant and important information to those touched by cancer. These education programs are designed to empower and arm people impacted by cancer with information to help them make appropriate decisions affecting their health, economic status and family.
- Wellness programs. Based on the belief that mind/body connectedness improves physical outcomes, our wellness programs are aimed at strengthening one’s mind as well as their body. Using a holistic (mind, body, and spirit) approach, our programs provide all those affected by cancer (patients, caregivers, families and friends) opportunities to participate in support groups and a variety of classes and events.
There are no treatments done in our new space in the Illinois Medical Center building, only support services. This makes it a safe haven for patients and their families.
Support services include:
- Art therapy
- Cancer Matters newsletter
- Clinical navigators
- Financial navigator
- Nutrition education
- Peer-to-peer support programs
- Smoking cessation
- Support group meetings
- Survivorship program
- APN appointments for education on diagnosis, treatment
Many people have and will be touched by cancer in their lives. We are committed to meeting the individual needs of all those affected by cancer.