Mission, Philosophy & Vision
Saint Francis Medical Center College of Nursing is a small, private, Catholic, single purpose institution.
The College, founded and operated by The Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis, is enriched by the heritage of the Sisters, who have a Mission of caring and commitment to quality health care.
The College is located in Peoria, Illinois, on the campus of OSF HealthCare Saint Francis Medical Center, a large, tertiary health care and teaching institution.
In the Spirit of Christ and the example of Francis of Assisi, the Mission of Saint Francis Medical Center College of Nursing, a private single purpose Catholic college, is to provide excellent nursing education that fosters the learner’s holistic development in an environment that encourages open inquiry and lifelong learning while serving all persons with the greatest care and love.
Through God’s providence, leading our community in the art and science of nursing through excellence in education, practice, and service.
1. Lifelong Learning – An interactive, learner-centered process in which critical thinking and inquiry skills are developed and lead to a lifelong commitment to discovering and disseminating new knowledge.
2. Compassion – A caring response to the holistic needs of the people we serve.
3. Leadership - Developing skills and talents through innovation, agility, and collaboration to meet the healthcare and education needs of the community.
4. Justice – Respecting the personal worth and dignity of each person as an individual.
5. Trust – Open and honest communications, actions, and behaviors that foster trusting relationships among mission partners, students, and those served.
6. Integrity – Upholding the Catholic ethical principles; Catholic social, emotional and intellectual teachings; and professional codes of conduct and ethical standards in education and practice.
7. Accountability – The obligation to provide quality and evidence-based education and care while being responsible for outcomes and good stewards of resources.
8. Supportive Work and Learning Environment - Creating an atmosphere that provides support, encouragement and nurturing for the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual health of the college community.