Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
This 125-hour course is designed as a comprehensive introduction to the emergency medical services profession, and the treatment of the sick and injured. In accordance with the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Standard Curriculum for the EMT and the Illinois Department of Public Health, this program focuses on honing the knowledge, skills and abilities that will allow students to properly assess patients and treat a wide variety of medical and trauma emergencies in the pre-hospital setting.
- Cardiac arrest
- Respiratory emergencies
- Shock and bleeding
- Trauma care
- Emergency childbirth
- Fracture splinting
- Wound care
- Diabetic emergencies
- Basic anatomy and physiology
- Lifting and moving techniques
- Basic pharmacology
- Ambulance operations
- Scene safety
- Personal protection strategies.
This course is taught to prepare students to successfully challenge the National Registry Examination for the EMT Certification Examination.
- Complete Education Course Application with all specific course requirements as indicated on the course application.
- Appropriate course fee paid prior to start date of class.
- Must be 18 years of age by the final course examination date.
- High School Diploma or its equivalency.
- Background check
- Drug screen
OSF Northern Region EMS offers Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) classes throughout the year at various locations. OSF Northern Region EMS hosts classes at the OSF Northern Region EMS West State Training Facility, 3501 W. State St, Rockford at different times during the year.
An accelerated day class is offered during the summer at the OSF Northern Region EMS Office to accommodate college students during the summer break. These classes are also offered at agency's locations upon request. Please click the button below if you are interested in hosting or attending a class.
EMT Course - Fall 2022
The EMT Course for Fall 2022 will be held August 16, 2022 through December 9, 2022 at OSF West State Training Facility, 3501 West State Street, Rockford, IL 61108.
- Course dates are Tuesdays and Fridays from 9:30am to 3:00 pm
- Application packets will be available June 1,2022.
- Applications are due by 5:00 pm July 26, 2022
- Class size is limited to 20 students..
When requesting course information, please include your first and last name, email address and phone number.
The OSF Northern Region EMS EMT Education Program is approved for Veterans' Education Benefits.