Thank you for your interest in volunteering with OSF St. Joseph Medical Center! We have a diverse, trained group who selflessly devote thousands of hours each year to support the hospital staff and our patients and families. Please consider joining us.
Adult Volunteer Opportunities
- Emergency Department Volunteer - This opportunity is especially suited for anyone wanting to learn more about emergency or trauma services.
- Fidget blankets for patients - Fabric kits and small items to attach are provided to make this well received activity mat for our confused, dementia or stroke patients. Requires some sewing.
- Information Desks - These volunteers are the friendly ambassadors of OSF St. Joseph Medical Center who welcome all guests, answer phones, dispatch transporters, help people find their way and do a myriad of multitasking.
- Karing Partners - Registered Therapy Dogs and their owners bring such comfort and smiles to our patients and are some of the most popular visitors! If your dog is registered, or you would like to learn more, please contact us at (309) 665-4728.
- Music Volunteers - Music provides soothing comfort to patients and staff. Volunteers play various instruments such as piano, violin, and guitar for patients on various units. A movable, digital keyboard is provided.
- OSF MyChart at the Bedside Navigator - The volunteer will assist the patient with accessing their medical chart, their care team information, their medication information, their health education, and other important functions on a tablet set up just for them while here as a patient.
- Patient Advocate - This is a patient contact opportunity good for those who are entering the medical field or those with compassion and empathy for the patients. The Patient Advocate volunteer does a great deal of listening and helps solve any problems or issues that may arise while someone is a patient here.
- Transport Services - Transport services volunteers escort visitors to where they need to go and transport patients in wheelchairs throughout the medical center.
Junior Volunteer Opportunities
- Campus Beautification Project - These Junior Volunteers will work with our landscape engineer to help make the outdoor spaces more inviting and attractive.
- Family Care Center - The Junior volunteers in the Family Care Center help pass out water, obtain warm blankets for patients, visit with patients in their rooms, and assist patients with their MyChart tablets.
- Information Desks - Information Desk Attendants greet visitors and patients, escort them to the unit or department where they need to go, answer questions for visitors, and push individuals in wheelchairs.
- Surgi-Center - Junior volunteers in the Surgi-Center provide refreshments to patients and visitors, stock supplies, run errands, and help to discharge patients. This position requires a self-directed, outgoing, and responsible person.
- Transport/Patient Escort - Junior volunteers who are Transport/Patient Escorts personally direct patients and visitors throughout the hospital; discharge patients using wheelchairs; and deliver meals, flowers, and mail. You must have an outgoing personality and the ability to push wheelchairs.