Frequently Asked Questions
What causes hearing aids to whistle?
Whistling or feedback is caused by several different things:
- Excessive wax
- Poor fit
- Improper insertion
- Volume turned up too high
- Inappropriate hearing aid for patient's hearing loss
If you or someone you know is having this problem, make an appointment with the office where you purchased the hearing aids to see what can be done to fix the problem.
My friend has a hearing aid that cost a lot of money, and he put it in a drawer and never wears it. What can be done?
- Make sure it is working. If not, take it back and see what can be done to fix it.
- The hearing aid may need to be adjusted. It takes time for your brain to adjust to the sounds you have been missing. Make an appointment with the audiologist.
- If nothing else works and the hearing aid is still under the trail period, it can be returned to the office where it was purchased.
My friend has a very small hearing aid and that is what I want too. Will that work as well for me?
That depends on the type and amount of hearing loss you have. If you are interested in a certain size, discuss this with your audiologist and they will tell you if that will be the best hearing aid for your hearing loss.
How much do hearing aids cost?
There is a wide range when it comes to the cost of a hearing aid, which is determined by the technology in the hearing aid. All hearing aids can help you hear, but some do a better job than others. Your hearing needs will help determine the technology you need.
Can I just get one hearing aid instead of two?
You can, but realize that two are almost always better than one. You have two ears for a reason and if they both have a hearing loss, you need to wear two hearing aids; just like wearing glasses if both eyes have a problem seeing. Benefits of two hearing aids (binaural amplification) include:
- Better hearing in noise
- Enhanced sound quality
- Increased ability to detect the source of a sound (localization)
- Prevention of a condition called "auditory deprivation"
What brands* do you carry?
GN Resound, Phonak, Siemens ,Starkey and Oticon*. All are good companies and offer a full range of hearing aids at comparable prices.
*Not all brands are offered at all locations.