Opportunities for Students to serve in the summer
Volunteers are an extension of our Community of Caregivers’ team and serve as a liaison for patients, their families and our Mission Partners.
Our volunteer opportunities fall into the following three categories:
Greeter and Escort Team
This team member welcomes patients and visitors, and escorts them to the appropriate locations via walking or wheelchair transport.
Team members may provide assistance with answering questions, providing directions, and/or discharging patients from their room to the parking deck. In addition, this team member must be able to walk long distances, push a wheelchair, and be pleasant and courteous.
Clerical Support Team
This team member will assist department staff with clerical responsibilities in order to enhance the efficiency of the office.
Clerical assistance may include answering phones, sorting and filing records, assembly of packets, copying, working on bulletin boards, and data entry.
In addition, this team member must be detail orientated, willing to learn, and professional.
Patient Services Team
This team member will help make a patient’s hospitalization stay a more pleasant experience by providing personal attention to a patient in an unhurried manner and help relieve the nursing staff by performing small tasks.
These tasks can include passing trays/water, providing a warm blanket, care for flowers and plants, answering the phone, reading at the bedside of patients, stocking supplies and light cleaning.
This team member will be a self-starter, enjoys meeting new people, and communicating to a diverse population. No direct patient care is allowed.
Interested in becoming part of our team?
Requirements for student volunteers:
- Have a desire to serve others
In good physical and mental health
Minimum age of 16 (must be 16 by June 7, 2020)
Currently attending high school, college or working on a GED
Provide documentation of immunizations: MMR, Varicella (chicken pox), flu and Tdap
- Agree to remain a volunteer from June 7 - August 8, 2020
- Agree to volunteer a minimum of 8 weeks out of the 9 week program
- Agree to volunteer one day per week (same day, time and area) for duration of program
- Able to volunteer in 3-4 hour shifts
- Complete an online orientation
- Attend an in-person review session on either the evening of June 1, 2020 or the morning of June 6, 2020, for one hour
- Abide by the policies and regulations of OSF HealthCare Saint Francis Medical Center and Volunteer Services Department
- Interviews will be conducted in March and April
- Students will receive their assignment at time of interview and will be given on a first come, first served basis
- Failure to meet the minimum commitment of volunteering 8 out of 9 weeks from June 7 - August 8, 2020, will result in being assessed a $25 processing fee, no recommendation letter, and ineligibility to volunteer for 3 years
These opportunities are at OSF HealthCare Saint Francis Medical Center or at our other OSF HealthCare locations around the Peoria area.
We do not coordinate job shadowing, physician shadowing, and/or research opportunities.
How to Apply
Click the link below to apply for the 2020 Summer Program.
Please note: Applications will be accepted through April 1, 2020.