What is a Community Health Needs Assessment?
As part of the new requirements for not-for-profit hospitals, every facility is required to conduct a Community Health Needs Assessment every three years and put together a plan to meet the community needs that the assessment identifies.
Every community has different health care needs, including diabetes management, obesity and weight loss management, chronic illness, substance abuse, sexual health, and more.
That's why our assessment team pulls together a broad set of health care consumers from each service area to help us identify the health needs of each individual community.
2013 Community Health Needs Assessment Report
OSF Saint James currently has seven major areas of focus as a result of the 2013 survey and report:
- Community Misperceptions
- Healthy Behaviors
- Mental Health
- Risky Behaviors / Substance Abuse
Results of that survey were used to develop or expand a number of programs and services available to area residents. Examples of those activities are:
- the expansion of mental health services within OSF Medical Group practices through a partnership with the Institute for Human Resources (IHR) and the implementation of a streamlined referral form within offices, to speed access to mental health services for children
- the distribution of monthly calendars of events and educational program information to area churches
- the launch of The Newborn Channel at OSF Saint James, which provides educational programming to new parents during hospitalization, and educational information both before and after delivery through high-quality online video content
- community health programming on topics such as meal planning on a budget, family fitness & nutrition, bicycle safety, improving your cardiac health, and more
- promotion of the annual Child Mental Health Summit for health, education and social service professionals who work with children
- expanded communication about the survey and its results to the communities we serve through radio programs and planning meetings with other community agencies, such as the Livingston County Health Department
For more information about the Community Health Needs Assessment project at OSF Saint James – John W. Albrecht Medical Center, contact Paula Corrigan at (815) 842-2828 or Paula.M.Corrigan@osfhealthcare.org.