The Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis were founded in Peoria on July 16, 1877, by Mother M. Frances Krasse, O.S.F., and Bishop John Lancaster Spalding.
Property was obtained in 1877 for St. Francis Hospital, which is the present day site of OSF Saint Francis Medical Center. On January 2, 1880, the Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis not-for-profit corporation was incorporated.
Later that year, St. Joseph’s Hospital in Bloomington, Illinois, was established, moving in 1968 to its present site today as OSF St. Joseph Medical Center.
In 1884, five sisters were sent to Escanaba, Michigan, to begin working at Delta County Hospital. In 1915, the Sisters purchased that hospital and renamed it OSF St. Francis Hospital.
By then, the Sisters were already operating St. Anthony Hospital, which they established in Rockford, Illinois, in 1899. The hospital in Rockford moved in 1963 to a new facility as present day OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center.
The 1900’s brought additional hospitals to OSF HealthCare. St. James Hospital was established in 1907 in Pontiac, Illinois, moving to a new facility in 2002 as present day OSF Saint James-John W. Albrecht Medical Center. St. Mary’s Hospital was established in 1909 in Galesburg, Illinois, and moved to a new facility in 1974, where it is today OSF St. Mary Medical Center.
In 1957, the Management Services and Materials Management, now known as Finance and Accounting, Materials Management and Supply Chain divisions, were established. That same year, the Central Administration Office was established, renamed the Corporate Office in 1987 and today is known as Ministry Services.
In 1990, OSF Children’s Hospital of Illinois was officially established within OSF Saint Francis Medical Center as a pediatric hospital. Children’s Hospital of Illinois is also proud to house the Jim and Trudy Maloof St. Jude Affiliate Clinic, which brings some of the pediatric oncology care and services offered in Memphis to central Illinois.
OSF Home Care Services, a new operating division combining all facility-based home health and hospice services, was brought into operation.
On January 28, 2002, OSF Aviation, LLC, which owns helicopters configured and equipped for patient transport, was organized.
On April 12, 2007, Community Medical Center consolidated its assets with OSF Healthcare System and is known today as OSF Holy Family Medical Center and OSF Holy Family Clinics in Monmouth, Illinois.
On June 3, 2007, OSF Multispecialty Group – Peoria, LLC, was organized for specialty services in the Peoria area.
On July 23, 2008, the Illinois Neurological Institute – Physicians, LLC was organized to provide professional services of neurosurgeons and other physicians specializing in neurosciences.
On September 1, 2008, HeartCare Midwest, Ltd., was purchased by OSF Healthcare System.
In 2009, Cardiovascular Institute, an OSF LLC, was organized to provide professional services of cardiologists in the Rockford, Illinois, area. Illinois Pathologist Services, LLC, was established in 2009 and on May 28 that same year, OSF Multispecialty Group – Eastern Region, LLC, was organized for specialty physician services in the Bloomington, Illinois, area and Illinois Specialty Physician Services at OSF, LLC, was organized to provide pulmonary medicine physician services in the Peoria area. OSF Perinatal Associates, LLC, was organized to provide maternal fetal medicine physician services in the Peoria area.
In 2010, the OSF Multispecialty Group – Western Region, LLC, was organized for specialty physician services in the Galesburg, Illinois, area. OSF Children’s Medical Group – Congenital Heart Center, LLC, was organized to provide pediatric cardiology services in the Rockford, Illinois, area.
The Supportive Care and Employer Services divisions were established in 2011, as was Preferred Emergency Physicians of Illinois, LLC, which provides emergency medicine physician services to various Illinois hospitals. On May 1, 2012, Ottawa Regional Medical Center was integrated with OSF Healthcare System, changing its name to OSF Saint Elizabeth Medical Center.
In 2013, Jump Simulation was established in partnership with the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria. On April 2, 2014, Kewanee Hospital joined OSF Healthcare System as OSF Saint Luke Medical Center.
Throughout the rich history of OSF HealthCare, what has not changed is the Sisters’ exceptional commitment to the health of our communities. Though they understand that human caring is the most powerful medicine of all, they integrate that belief with an eagerness to provide OSF caregivers with the best in technology and tools for superior patient care. The early Sisters were pioneers in health care and so are the Sisters today.
OSF HealthCare is proud to be among the nation’s leading innovators in the transformation of care for better health for our communities, consistently excellent patient experience and lower costs.