Medicare & Wellness
You should schedule an introductory visit within the first 12 months of obtaining Medicare Part B to review your medical and social history related to your health, as well as education and counseling about preventive services, including the following:
- Height, weight and blood pressure measurements
- A calculation of your body mass index
- A simple vision test
- Certain screenings, shots and referrals for other care, if needed
- A review of your potential risk for depression and your level of safety
- An offer to talk with you about creating advance directives
- A written plan letting you know which screenings, shots and other preventive services you need. Get details about coverage for screenings, shots and other preventive services.
Is this visit covered by Medicare?
Yes. "Welcome to Medicare" is a one-time visit that is only covered by Medicare within the first year of enrollment. Welcome to Medicare is a one-time preventative visit. Annual Medicare Wellness Visits are covered whether you have a Welcome to Medicare visit or not.
What is the purpose of yearly Medicare Wellness Visits?
Medicare Wellness Visits are a free annual visit that allows your primary care provider and care team to discuss changes in your health and make plans for your care over the following year. If you have had Medicare Part B for longer than 12 months, it is time for a visit to develop a personalized health plan to prevent disease and disability. You will meet one-on-one with the Medicare Wellness nurse to review your health and consider what preventive testing you may need. Your primary care provider will then review your plan of care at this visit.
What will be discussed at a Medicare Wellness Visit?
- A review of your medical and family history
- Developing or updating a list of current providers and prescriptions
- Height, weight, blood pressure and other routine measurements
- Detection of any cognitive impairment
- Personalized health advice
- A list of risk factors and treatment options for you
- A screening schedule (like a checklist) for appropriate preventive services
This visit is covered once every 12 months and one day.
Am I eligible for Medicare Wellness Visits?
All Medicare Part B participants are eligible.
What are the costs of Medicare Wellness and “Welcome to Medicare” Visits?
You pay nothing for the “Welcome to Medicare” preventive visit or the annual Wellness visit if your health care provider accepts the assignment. The Part B deductible does not apply.
What if I have other health conditions I wish to discuss?
In order for Medicare to pay for the Wellness Visit with no cost to you, your provider cannot address new or existing health conditions during this visit. Your provider can schedule another visit to address these issues in a longer appointment.
How can I get further information on Medicare and preventive testing?
Medicare Wellness Visits are offered at each OSF HealthCare – Medical Group location. To schedule a visit or learn more about the program, call the phone numbers listed below.