Parasomnias are common sleep disorders characterized by strange behavior or experiences during sleep.
Parasomnias can occur during specific stages of sleep or during the transition between sleeping and waking.
Types of Parasomnias
- Nightmares and nightmare disorder
- Disorders of arousal: sleepwalking, sleep terrors and confusional arousals
- Sleep-related behavior disorder (SRED)
- Nocturnal sleep-related eating disorder
- REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD)
- Sleep paralysis
- Sleep aggression
Treatment for parasomnias can include changing your bedtime routines, therapy or, in some instances, medication.
They can usually be diagnosed based on a person’s history or description of symptoms, but your provider may order some additional testing.
To see a sleep specialist, contact your physician and ask for a referral to OSF Sleep.
Once we have received the referral, we will contact you to schedule an appointment.