Pediatric Sleep Disorders
in children and adolescents are common and can even affect infants. Studies have shown that poor sleep quality and quantity in children are associated with multiple problems, including academic, behavioral,
, cardiovascular, metabolic, social difficulties, weight abnormalities and other health problems.
Children may suffer from problems falling or staying asleep.
These problems can be due to physiological issues such as obstructive sleep apnea, abnormal or disruptive behaviors during sleep such as sleepwalking or other parasomnias symptoms.
Other issues occur near sleep onset such as
restless legs syndrome
, and daytime symptoms such as excessive sleepiness and others.
While adults may suffer from the same problems, the way symptoms are experienced and identified in children may be different from those seen in adults and treated differently.
What We Treat
Our team offers evaluation and treatment for all types of pediatric sleep disorders, including:
- Behavioral sleep disorders, including nightmares/night terrors and unwillingness to go to sleep
- Breathing issues during sleep, such as snoring and obstructive sleep apnea
- Children who require respiratory support with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) and bilevel positive airway pressure (BiPAP)
- Children with tracheostomy and on home ventilators who require optimization of their ventilator settings or need tracheostomy capping sleep studies
- Circadian rhythm disorders
- Excessive sleepiness and trouble waking up
- Periodic limb movement disorder and restless legs syndrome (RLS)
- Problems falling asleep and staying asleep
Our pediatric sleep experts also see children with sleep problems that complicate other medical disorders, including asthma , autism, epilepsy, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), craniofacial disorders , obesity and neuromuscular disorders.
We work hand-in-hand with the child's other physicians to ensure comprehensive care.
No providers found
Meet Our Pediatric Specialists
Holly L. Brooks, PAPediatric Sleep Medicine, Sleep MedicinePeoria
Lori A. De Freese, APRNPediatric Sleep Medicine, Sleep MedicinePeoria
Bradley H. Gleason, MDPediatric Sleep Medicine, Sleep MedicinePeoria
Sasikanth Gorantla, MDHeadache Medicine, Neurology, Pediatric Sleep Medicine, Sleep MedicinePeoria
Andrea A. Holmes, APRNPediatric Sleep Medicine, Sleep MedicinePeoria
Ossama I. Ikladios, MDCritical Care Medicine, Pediatric Pulmonology, Pediatric Sleep Medicine, Pulmonology, Sleep MedicineCanton, Peoria
Robert J. Lucia, APRNPediatric Pulmonology, Pediatric Sleep MedicinePeoria
Julie A. Quam, PAPediatric Sleep Medicine, Sleep MedicinePeoria
Kaninika Verma, MDCritical Care Medicine, Pediatric Sleep Medicine, Pulmonology, Sleep MedicineGalesburg, Kewanee, Monmouth, Ottawa, Peoria
Patrick E. Whitten, MDCritical Care Medicine, Pediatric Sleep Medicine, Pulmonology, Sleep MedicineCanton, Ottawa, Peoria, Pontiac
Sarah N. Zallek, MDPediatric Sleep Medicine, Sleep MedicinePeoria