Child Life Specialist Services
Child life specialists are specially trained to help families navigate the process of a child's hospitalization. Their background in child development makes them expertly prepared to educate, prepare and support children through illnesses, tests, procedures and recovery.
The child life specialists at OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center provide pediatric patients and their families with:
- Therapeutic preparation and interventions during treatment and recovery
- Appropriate psychosocial developmental care
- Assistance with stress management by offering comfort, distractions and coping interventions during treatment and procedures
- Advocacy for family-centered, developmentally appropriate care by assessing family needs and facilitating communication for better care
- Assistance to children — whether patients or visitors — who are experiencing grief or trauma