Are You a Candidate?
Weight loss surgery is a useful tool for successful weight loss, but it is not for everyone.
You are a candidate for weight loss surgery if:
- You have a BMI of 35-39 with medical problems, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, or sleep apnea (stop breathing as you sleep), OR you have a BMI of over 40 with or without medical problems. You may calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI) by using the BMI calculator . The BMI is a calculation that takes into consideration both your height and weight.
- You are under the age of 70.
- You have realistic expectations from surgery.
- You understand the possible risks of surgery.
- You understand the way your life will change after surgery.
- You are willing to actively participate in making a lifestyle change.
- You are willing to visit your surgeon for long-term follow-up.
- You have tried other diets under the supervision of a doctor and failed. This is a surgery of last resort.
You are not a candidate for weight loss surgery if:
- Your BMI is less than 35, OR
- Your BMI is between 35-39 and you have no medical problems.
- You are over the age of 70.
Click here to watch a series of videos to learn more about surgical weight loss.