Are You a Candidate?
Weight loss surgery is a useful tool for sucessful weight loss, but it is not for everyone.
You are a candidate for weight loss surgery if:
- You have a BMI of 35-39 with medical problems, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, or sleep apnea (stop breathing as you sleep), OR you have a BMI of 40-60 with or without medical problems. You may calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI) by using the BMI calculator . The BMI is a calculation that takes into consideration both your height and weight.
- You are under the age of 70.
- You have realistic expectations from surgery.
- You understand the possible risks of surgery.
- You understand the way your life will change after surgery.
- You are willing to actively participate in making a lifestyle change.
- You are willing to visit your surgeon for long-term follow-up.
- You have tried other diets under the supervision of a doctor and failed. This is a surgery of last resort.
You are not a candidate for weight loss surgery if:
- Your BMI is less than 35, OR
- Your BMI is between 35-39 and you have no medical problems.
- Your BMI is greater than 60.
- You are over the age of 70.
If you are interested in exploring surgical weight loss, you must attend an Informational Meeting. Meetings are held on the first and third Monday of each month at 5:00 pm at the RiverPlex - see the section for dates.
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, informational meetings have been cancelled until further notice.