The Children's Hospitalist Service serves referring physicians, patients and patient families at OSF HealthCare Children's Hospital of Illinois around-the-clock.
Our hospitalists are pediatricians who specialize in caring for hospitalized infants, children and adolescents.
- Attending doctors will supervise and coordinate all areas of your child’s care during his/her hospital stay with the team of intern and resident physicians.
- A doctor from our division is always on call and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- You may have different doctors during your child’s hospital stay. On nights and weekends, there may be different teams of doctors caring for your child. They will all be well informed about your child’s condition and needs.
- If you have concerns about your child’s care or concerns about communication, please don’t hesitate to discuss with your attending doctor at any time.
- The attending hospitalist physician will be in contact with your primary care physician when you are released from the hospital.
Who Else Will Care for my Child?
Because OSF Children’s Hospital is a teaching hospital, there are many doctors that will participate in caring for your child. Your child’s medical team will include:
- Resident: a physician who is receiving training in pediatrics.
- Senior resident: a resident in his/her final years of pediatric training. The senior resident is responsible for knowing about every child on their team, supervising the interns and updating the hospitalist physician.
- Intern: a pediatric resident in his/her first year of training. Under the supervision of the senior resident and attending physician, the intern is responsible for the day-to-day care of your child. You will see this physician the most.
- Medical student: a student in his/her third or fourth year of medical school that is part of the medical team. They are learning about pediatrics.
- Other specialty attending physicians, resident physicians and medical students: these care providers may need to be involved in your child’s care. They will offer recommendations and will be closely involved in your child’s care.