Our tutoring services help students stay active in their studies during their hospital stay. We offer both classroom and bedside tutoring and update schools on student progress and completed assignments.
Our school calendar runs from mid-August until the beginning of June. Our classroom is open from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM during the school year and is located on the general pediatrics unit .
Our School Program
We will work with students immediately upon admission if he/she has assignments and materials. We use the following steps to ensure that the process is as seamless as possible:
- We introduce ourselves to the patient and her or his family within the first few days of admission. During this visit, we will provide a consent form for the parent/guardian/emancipated student to sign so that we can contact the student’s school.
- We develop a system for communication with the child’s school and decide whether contact with the school will be handled with a single liaison or via individual contact with teachers. We also establish a preference for fax/email/phone/online classroom in consultation with the student’s school.
- We begin working with students as soon as assignments are available from their schools.
- We return completed student work as needed.
- If applicable, we obtain a tutor form and send it to the school.
- Upon request, we send a form with attendance information to the school.
What school supplies are available?
To help students of all grade levels, our supply closet is equipped with school supplies and materials, including:
- Laptops, chromebooks, and iPads
- Textbooks, references books, and worksheets
- Lined, graph, and construction paper
- Crayons, colored pencils, and markers
- Glue, scissors, and rulers
- Pens, pencils, and erasers
- Protractors and compasses
- Clipboards and slant boards
- Games, flashcards, and puzzles
- Novels and magazines
Can patients pick books to read?
Every patient we meet is given the choice to pick a free book to read during her or his stay at the hospital. We build our library through grant money and donations from individuals and groups in the community.
Ranging from picture books to full-length novels, your child is free to keep whatever book they find that most catches their interest, whether we tutor them or not. Oftentimes, these books are Accelerated Reader leveled books that can be used in conjunction with your school’s AR program.
Forms & Documents
The following are forms and documents you may want to use while working with the Pediatric School Program. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. You can fax the consent and tutor forms to us at 309-624-4339
"Heat" by Mike Lupica
It's often said that Little League is where the dream begins for those who aspire to the big leagues. HEAT vividly and warmly allows all of us who ever had that dream to live it one more time.
Grade Level: 5th - 8th
"How to Train Your Dragon: Hiccup the Hero" by Charles Hapka
Hiccup doesn't fit in with the other Vikings on the island of Berk. He isn't rough or tough, but he is friends with a dragon! When danger arrives, can Hiccup save the day?
Grade Level: 1st - 2nd
"McGooster & McGyman Begin Their Adventures" by Pat Rochkind
They may be brothers, but they do not always agree. Two kittens move to a new home.
Grade Level: 3rd - 4th
"Mindblowers" by Jim Rhine
A look back at history that will change the way you look at the world today.
Grade Level: 6th - 12th
Forms & Documents
Feel free to browse these bonus resources for all of your academic needs before, during, or after your stay with us!
Homework HelpWord of the Day